Aim: To train participants to enable them to Referee at Go Games U11 and U12 age group.
The course aims to provide participants with knowledge of the rules of Go Games Level 2 and an understanding of fair play and the role of the referee:
- Discuss Qualities of a Good Referee and reflect on previous learning and experience
- Review Level 1 Go Games rules
- List & describe the Level 2 Go Games Rules to Go Games Referees
- To apply the “GPS” method of recording scores.
- Review the Respect initiative for Go Games
- Demonstrate effective communication skills
- Helping to create an appropriate and safe learning environment
- Analyse the role the referee plays in resolving dissent and lack of discipline.
- Your role as an educator
- Course candidates should be 16 years old
- A fully registered member of a GAA Club
- Complete on online entry exam (Pass Rate of 70% is Required). Participants are encouraged to read the rules in advance of completing the entrance exam. Rules can be downloaded here
Appropriate fee: €80 per person
Maximum attendance: 25
Duration: 8 Hours - (which could be 3/4 sessions lasting approx. 2 hours each). Full attendance required
Practical involvement: Candidates will be encouraged to participate practically to maximise their opportunities for learning (the qualification cannot be completed unless you officiate during the course).
Methodology: The course would be carried out over three/four sessions and would test the theoretical and practical knowledge of aspiring referees. An entrance exam is carried out online and participants must obtain a 70% pass mark to advance to the course. A sample exam paper can be downloaded here
Sessions 1 & 2 will deal with:
- Requirements of a good referee
- Go Games rules per age
- General playing rules
- Recording scores
- Respect and communication
- Dissent / discipline
- Real match day scenarios
- Administration / logistics
- Match reports
A variety of training techniques will be used to facilitate learning of each of the above issues. These methods will include, but not be limited to, role play, clip chart activities, PowerPoint presentations and group based activities. The participants will sit the final Go Games Level 2 Referee exam and participants must obtain 90% to pass the course
Session 3/4 will carry out “on the pitch training” where each participant will have the opportunity to referee a part of a match and performance evaluation will be provided. Participants will be presented with their certificate upon successfully completing the course.
Registrations: Registrations cannot be made online. Registrations will only accepted from Club Referee Co-Ordinators and must be emailed directly to email@example.com