Aim: To train participants to enable them to referee at Go Games U8 - U10. The course aims to provide participants with knowledge of the rules of Go Games Level 1 and an understanding of fair play and the role of the referee.
- To explore the qualities of a good referee
- To identify what “Tools of the Trade” you need to referee
- To list & describe the Level 1 Go Games Rules to Go Games referees
- To demonstrate of the “GPS” method of recording scores
- To introduce the idea of respect in Go Games
- To show how effective communication can increase the quality of the game.
- To provide the class with skills and knowledge to help them deal with dissent and lack of discipline.
- To cover the real match day scenarios
- Course candidates should be minimum 14 years of age
- A fully registered member of a GAA Club
- Complete on online entry exam (Pass Rate of 70% is Required). Participants are encouraged to read the rules in advance of completing the entrance exam. Rules can be downloaded here
Fee: €70 per person (includes cost of referee’s gear and pack).
Maximum attendance: 25.
Duration: 4 sessions each lasting approximately 2 hours. The final session is a practical session (usually on a Saturday morning). Full attendance required
Methodology: The course is delivered over four sessions and tests theoretical and practical knowledge of aspiring referees.
Session 1, 2 and 3: These Sessions will deal with:
- Requirements of a good referee
- What do I need to referee
- Rules per age
- Recording scores
- Real match day scenarios
- Administration / logistics
A variety of training techniques will be used to facilitate learning of each of the above issues. These methods will include, but not be limited to, role play, clip chart activities, PowerPoint presentations and group based activities.
Session 4: This session will carry out “on the pitch training” where each participant will have the opportunity to referee a part of a match and performance evaluation will be provided. The session will finish with the final Go Games Level 1 Referee exam and participants must obtain 90% to pass the course. Participants will be presented with their certificate and referee's gear upon successful completion of the course.
Registrations: Registrations cannot be made online. Registrations will only accepted from Club Referee Co-Ordinators and must be emailed directly to email@example.com